Bariatric Care: Current Trends, Treatments & Challenges – Marcia Gamaly
Obesity has reached epidemic levels in the United States. One-third of the adult population is overweight, and another third is obese. Obesity contributes to numerous comorbidities, limits quality of life, and shortens lifespans. This population often requires more frequent medical and nursing care due to their obesity and related comorbidities. Learn new strategies to address the unique care needs for this patient population, from optimal disease management to safe handling tips to the prevention of skin issues.
To further complicate things, obesity bias and negative attitudes and interactions with providers may dissuade some patients from seeking the healthcare they desperately need, and may negatively affect outcomes. Evaluate your own perceptions and discover how to improve healthcare outcomes and reduce disparities in this vulnerable population!
- Anticipate complications unique to bariatric patients.
- Explain nursing actions to enhance a bariatric patient’s safety.
- Evaluate one’s own perception of how obesity impacts the quality of life of bariatric patients.
- Differentiate between various surgical procedures for weight loss management.
Bariatric Care Challenges and Risks
- System Assessments & Special Considerations
- Physiological Impact of Obesity
- Skin Integrity Concerns
- Altered Pharmacokinetics
- Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome
Weight Loss Options
- Medical Options
- Surgical Options: Restrictive and/or Malabsorptive
- Post-Op Complications
Related Bariatric Care Issues
- Caregiver Issues
- Bariatric Equipment Issues
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Assessment
- Bariatric Sensitivity and Obesity Bias
Tag: “Bariatric Care: Current Trends, Treatments & Challenges – Marcia Gamaly” Review. “Bariatric Care: Current Trends, Treatments & Challenges – Marcia Gamaly” download. “Bariatric Care: Current Trends, Treatments & Challenges – Marcia Gamaly” discount.